The Bar Mill Upgrade Project aimed at:
- Increasing the Mill capacity up to 350.000 tpy;
- Increasing the size of the starting billet from 160x160 mm to 180x180 mm, by adding a bigger sliding reversing stand and two additional intermediate stands of larger size;
- Increasing the cooling bed length, adding a new module of 24 m, including the related entry and exit services, with a second driving unit.
The additional intermediate larger size stands will become part of the future new continuous rolling mill.
NCO engineered, supplied and commissioned the new installation, ensuring that all the goals of the first phase of the upgrade were met and exceeded.
NCO’s SUPPLY INCLUDED:
- Roughing sliding reversing duo stand
- Additional stand-by stand for the sliding reversing rougher in order to increase mill utilization
- Two (2) new H-V Intermediate stands, along with their stand-by stands
- Stand preparation equipment, including Robot for rolls change
- Cooling bed extension with lifting aprons
- New set of aprons with anti-scratch design, for new and existing cooling bed portion
- Hydraulic and Lubrication systems
- Motors, Encoders and Sensors
- Electrical and Automation systems, including AC/DC Drives and Boards.
Specification of the relevant civil works to host the new machines
The upgrading minimized the plant shut-down, since:
- The cooling bed foundations and most of its erection activities were done during mill operation
- The two additional stands were installed mainly during mill operation and during limited plant planned shut-downs
- Major interconnecting piping and cabling, as well as the installation of the new electrical cabinets, were done during mill operation.